What is varnish cache
What is Varnish Cache?
Varnish Cache is a web application accelerator also known as a caching HTTP reverse proxy. You install it in front of any server that speaks HTTP and configure it to cache the contents. Varnish Cache is really, really fast. It typically speeds up delivery with a factor of 300 - 1000x, depending on your architecture.
What you get
Identify and Resolve Varnish Cache Performance Issues
With Varnish Cache integration, you can get end-to-end visibility into all the key metrics and logs needed for efficient troubleshooting. Out-of-the-box dashboards feature powerful alerting and reporting tools to find Varnish Cache performance bottlenecks faster.
- Monitor Backend and Client reports to identify signs of issues such as misconfigurations, network problems, or changes in traffic patterns
- Assess how efficiently Varnish Cache is utilizing its cache to reduce server load and improve performance
- Check whether thread pools are functioning properly and are healthy
- Get notified about increasing 4xx and 5xx response rates
- Use the Traffic Insight report to see top clients, referrers, average response time and time to serve the first byte categorized by servers.
- Use the Traffic Distribution report to see the traffic distribution across servers
- Use tips integrated in the dashboards to understand what metrics are about and how to fine-tune their corresponding settings
Everything you need to monitor Varnish Cache comes out of the box
Customize reports, charts, and alerts as you wish
Monitor Varnish Cache Metrics in Real Time
Are you experiencing a high number of backend connections, sudden spikes, or drops in the backend request rate? Perhaps you're seeking ways to reduce the load on backend servers and improve response times. Or you may simply want to understand when and why cache invalidations occur. We've got you covered! Take advantage of a variety of pre-built dashboards featuring the most important Varnish Cache metrics to monitor, accompanied by tips for troubleshooting. Below is an indicative list of the available metrics that can be found in Varnish Cache dashboards:
- Backend connections (successful, failed, busy, recycled, retries, reused)
- Backend request rate
- Client requests
- Client responses by code
- Cache hits and misses
- Cache grace hits and cache hits for misses
- Threads queue
- Threads created, failed, destroyed, limited
- Bans added, completed, deleted
- Bans client requests
- Detailed OS metrics: CPU, disk IO, network, etc.
- Check the Varnish Cache Monitoring documentation for the complete list of metrics Sematext provides.
Correlate Varnish Cache Metrics and Logs for Faster Troubleshooting
Varnish Cache integration captures both Varnish Cache metrics and Varnish Cache Logs. Both come with out of the box dashboards and alert rules. Moreover, Varnish Cache metrics and logs can be correlated using Split Screen to cut troubleshooting time in half.
- View Top Clients and Referrers: Observe the highest-performing clients and referrers. Additionally, analyze average response times and time taken to server the first byte, categorized by servers
- Analyze Server Traffic Distribution: Understand the distribution of traffic across servers. Utilize data volume and bytes served for resource planning purposes
- Monitor Requests to Client and Backend: Keep track of requests made to both the client and backend sides of Varnish Cache to optimize hit rates on each side
- Receive Alerts for Abnormal Error Response Rates: Stay informed with alerts in case of an increase in the error response rates
Notify Your DevOps Team About Critical Issues
Stay on top of performance issues with customizable monitoring and alerting on any combination of metrics, filters, and logs. Varnish Cache specific alert rules are provided out of the box.
- Set up anomaly detection or threshold alerts
- Send notifications to Slack, PagerDuty, ServiceNow, custom Webhooks, email, etc.
- Invite team members. There is no limit on the number of users!
- Share logs and metrics with your team using role-based access control
- Get out-of-the-box fine-tuned alerts for important Varnish Cache metrics & logs
Benefit from Pre-Built Monitoring Dashboards
Sematext gives you out-of-the-box dashboards so you don’t have to spend time building your own from scratch. This lets you get started right away and monitor the availability, health, and performance of your cluster with minimal effort.
- Get out-of-the-box monitoring charts
- Save time and effort by tracking only the metrics that matter without spending time building your own dashboards
- All your metrics in a single place
- Most dashboards include tips with explanations of metrics and suggestions for what to do when a metric spikes or dips.
Start Monitoring your Cluster in Seconds
Sematext features a simple monitoring agent setup with extremely low overhead and no dependencies.
Plans and pricing
Plans and Pricing
Sematext Cloud pricing starts at $3.6/month/host. There are no long-term commitments necessary, and the cost is usage-based. Monthly cost estimates are displayed in Sematext during and after the free trial to avoid any surprises and provide 100% transparency.
See Plans and Pricing Schedule a Demo