6,000+ companies have used Sematext Cloud
Get Actionable Insights Faster with Sematext Cloud Try it free now.
Distributed Transaction Tracing
Get full application health visibility with Transaction Tracing. Track end-to-end request code execution across multiple applications, tiers, servers, microservices, and processes. Transaction Tracing starts close to the front-end — in the tier where applications communicate with backend and remote services, as well as data stores like Solr, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, HBase, MySQL and data processing frameworks like Apache Spark, Flink, Kafka… Such Transaction Tracing lets you discover slow and suboptimal parts of your stack. Along the way, Sematext also computes error rates, failed and merely slow transactions, and builds a dynamic AppMap of all monitored apps with real-time updates of their interactions. Distributed Transaction Tracing is great for:
- Pinpointing root causes of poor application performance
- Finding the slowest parts of your application
- Tracing requests across networks and apps all the way down to databases
- Exposing slow SQL statements
Currently, only Java and Scala applications can be traced.
Custom Pointcuts (for JVM)
While identifying slow transactions is key to performance tuning, there are times when one needs more information about specific transactions that are not necessarily slow. Want to capture timing information for a specific method? Or measure how many times a specific method is called? Maybe you want to exclude all calls to a recursive method from a transaction trace? Sematext Cloud provides such capabilities through custom instrumentation, letting you easily create your own custom pointcuts. The built-in extension mechanism can be used to instrument custom method calls that are not handled by the Sematext tracing agent out of the box.
AppMap is a map-like visualization of your complete application architecture. Unlike NetMap, which renders a map of your infrastructure, AppMap show inter-component communication and their throughput, latency, errors rates, etc. Connections to external services and databases are also captured and visualized. All information is updated in real-time. As such, AppMap helps you:
- Instantly see your whole architecture and its operational state and health
- Discover chatty, network-heavy components
- Discover components whose communication contains errors
- Keep the whole team up to date with the actual, live application architecture
- Speed up onboarding process for new team members by showing them the current architecture instead of outdated architecture diagrams
Database Operations & Slow SQL
Using Sematext APM Transaction Tracing enables database operations and slow SQL tracking. This uncovers your slowest database transactions and suboptimal SQL statements. As such, Database Operations & Slow SQL helps you:
- Find the slowest DB operation types
- View full SQL statements
- See end-to-end HTTP transaction context, through multiple tiers, including full call trace
- Get top 10 database operations by throughput, latency, or time consumed
- Filter DB operations by type