We’re Hiring – Join Our Team
We are looking for a talented, self-starting full-stack developer to join our team behind SPM, Logsene, Sematext Docker Agent, and Logagent. On the frontend we use ReactJS, Redux, ChartJS, etc. On the backend we use Elasticsearch, Kafka, ClickHouse, Akka, Project Reactor, custom Java and NodeJS apps, etc. For our monitoring agents we use Go, NodeJS, and Java, and our log shipper (Logagent) is written with NodeJS. All our infrastructure is in AWS, we use Ansible for automation, and Jenkins for CI. We try to automate as much as we can. We use Github workflow and Kanban boards in JIRA. Most developers use Docker running on Linux or OSX.
This position will let you work with all our products, large volumes of streaming data, contribute to our open-source projects, and interact with users and customers using our products. We don’t expect you to know everything coming in – we’ll pair you with peers who will help you improve your skills and close any experience gaps.
- Experience with some of the frontend and backend technologies we use
- Curiosity and passion for learning
- Self-starter and positive can-do attitude
- Ability to work with a geographically distributed team
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Docker or Kubernetes a plus
- Experience with Go a big plus
- Experience with ReactJS a plus
- Experience with Monitoring or Log Management a plus
- Proven UX/UI experience across mobile and web
- Expert knowledge of modern HTML, CSS, and JS
- Up-to-date with the latest UX/UI trends, techniques, and technologies
- Great attention to detail, communicative, with good command of English language (read: doesn’t need an additional person to proof-read everything and clean up typos and misspellings)
- Experience working in an agile environment, ideally with a distributed team like ours
- Experience using and working with WordPress, including custom themes
- Proficiency working with designers using tools such as Zeplin or InvisionApp, Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, or other visual design and wire-framing tools
- Penchant for elegant solutions and attention to detail
- Passion to innovate and build top-notch frontend and visualization experience
- Desire to work with data-rich applications that surface insight through visualizations and other forms of data exploration and analysis
- Ability to think like a user and always keep user experience in mind
- Good team player with ability to work in an agile, fast-paced, distributed startup
- Experience with a modern frontend JS framework (we use ReactJS & Redux)
- Experience writing automated tests
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, debugging and troubleshooting skills
Having been built from the ground up by and for engineers and devops, we are now looking for a top-notch Product Manager to drive Sematext Cloud to reach its fullest potential. We need a motivated person who gets SaaS and analytics, who gets devops needs, and gets the often not fully realized value that metrics and logs can provide to an organization. If that sounds like you, please get in touch.
- Derive, define, and prioritize features based on input from users, customers, and Sematext’s own “dogfooding”
- Provide engineering with input for building new and improving existing features, making sure they’re aligned with real customers needs
- Work with the marketing and product marketing teams on messaging, positioning and launch activities
- Keep a close eye on competitive landscape, both commercial and open source
- Define KPIs to measure product adoption and growth. Use these data to identify usage trends and patterns to make recommendations for product improvements, from UX/UI and pricing to packaging and new features.
- Technical aptitude and attention to detail; understanding of cloud technologies and devops-focused SaaS and non-SaaS solutions
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Ability to work with an agile, multi-cultural, highly distributed team
- Proven track record in product management; experience with SaaS product management is a plus
- Experience with search, logging, analytics, monitoring, or BI, and audiences that use such products products is a plus
Search is our specialty, our bread and butter Nutella. We’ve been working with Lucene, Solr, and Elasticsearch since their beginnings – 2000, 2006, and 2010, roughly. Our team members have written books covering all three of them, and have given numerous talks about search and related topics.
We are always looking to add more search experts to our team of search consultants. We tend to work remotely with customers around the world, but there is also opportunity to travel world-wide for those who want to travel.
People who will especially enjoy this position are those who like interacting with customers (email, Skype, Hangouts, phone), understanding customers’ problems and requirements, those who like designing/architecting and developing scalable, highly available, fault tolerant systems for processing large volumes of data and queries.
This position is also great for those who are looking for an opportunity to take their experience with search to a higher level and become Search Tech Leads or Development Managers, to build, run, and grow the core team of in-house as well as external search engineers.Put more formally, a person in this role will:
- Provide expert-level Elasticsearch or Solr consulting, development, and support services to a wide range of our customers
- Observe and identify customer pain points, priorities, requirements, and success criteria
- Resolve non-trivial search issues involving Lucene, Solr, Elasticsearch and related technologies
- Identify opportunities to help customers with additional Sematext products and/or services
- Participate in the open source community through blogging, answering questions on mailing lists, providing fixes and improvements when possible, etc.
- Contribute to development of Sematext projects and products
DESCRIPTIONSematext trainers run public, on-site, and occasionally remote Solr and Elasticsearch classes to groups ranging from a few to a few dozen individuals. You need to be comfortable speaking in front of people, be good and clear communicator, have the desire to teach people of various degrees of familiarity with the subject. A good instructor will be organized and engaging, and will not put trainees to sleep. An ideal instructor will be able to deliver any of our Solr or Elastic stack trainings, although initial expertise with both Solr and Elastic stack is not required – our existing Solr and Elasticsearch consultants and trainers will make sure any knowledge gaps you have are quickly filled. Furthermore, we use Solr and Elasticsearch extensively ourselves, thus providing plenty of opportunities for gaining expertise. This position requires travel several times a year, primarily to locations in North America and Europe. Because one cannot remain on top of Solr or Elasticsearch without ongoing hands-on work with these technologies, a person in this position will also take part in Sematext consulting and support. Often being the first point of contact customers have with Sematext, trainers are in the unique position to also introduce relevant Sematext products and other services, such as production support and consulting. The ability to present Sematext solutions that can truly be of use to trainees without being overly pushy is a plus.
- Passion to teach and ability to run engaging classes
- Strong verbal and presentation skills
- Patience, desire to help, and attention to detail
- Updating existing and creating new training material
- Maintaining expertise in relevant subjects by keeping up to date
- Ability to travel globally
LocationThis position is open to candidates in North or South America or Europe.
DESCRIPTIONSematext is hiring a technical, hands-on Professional Services Lead to join, lead, and grow the Professional Services side of Sematext. This is a role for a Professional Services Lead, who could grow into the Head role. We’re looking for somebody comfortable speaking with (potential) customers, understanding their needs and mapping them to the concrete consulting or development tasks, organizing and leading the actual engagement, while being hands on him/herself and growing the team, etc.
- Experience working with Solr or Elasticsearch
- Plan and coordinate customer engagements from business and technical perspective
- Identify customer pain points, their needs, and success criteria at the onset of each engagement
- Provide expert-level consulting and support services and strive to be a trustworthy advisor to a wide range of customers
- Resolve complex search issues involving Solr or Elasticsearch
- Identify opportunities to provide customers with additional value through our products or services
- Communicate high-value use cases and customer feedback to our Product teams
- Participate in open source community by contributing bug fixes, improvements, answering questions, etc.
- BS or higher in Engineering or Computer Science preferred
- 2 or more years of IT Consulting and/or Professional Services experience required
- Exposure to other related open source projects (Hadoop, Nutch, Kafka, Storm, Mahout, etc.) a plus
- Experience with other commercial and open source search technologies a plus
- Enterprise Search, eCommerce, and/or Business Intelligence experience a plus
- Experience working in a startup a plus
Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premise solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM) and log management and analytics (Logsene). We also provide Search and Big Data consulting services and offer 24/7 production support and training for Solr and Elasticsearch to clients worldwide.
We are looking a technical and people-minded person to work with our users and customers, help new customers with onboarding, or help customers optimize or automate their integration with Sematext products or open-source tools. In this role you get to work with DevOps people from both enterprise and consumer-oriented companies, some large and multinational, others small and local. While the bulk of our customers are in North America, we’ve also helped organizations in Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
- Orchestration tools like Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, DC/OS, AWS ECS, GKE, Mesos, …
- Log shippers like Logstash, Filebeat, rsyslog, or Logagent
- Cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, Google, Cloud Foundry, IBM Bluemix, Heroku ….
- Databases like Cassandra, MySQL, Redis, …
- Search engines like Elasticsearch or Solr
- Operating Systems like Linux, CoreOS, Windows
- Programming Languages like Go, NodeJS, Java, …
We need fast learner with knowledge of cloud deployments, container technology and good communication skills in English. Knowledge of NodeJS, Docker, or several of above mentioned tools is a plus. On one side you help customers who need assistance, on the other side you share your suggest improvements based on customer feedback and your own observations to make our solutions better and onboarding process smoother.
Interested in learning something new every day? Like to communicate with customers and share your knowledge via blog posts, documentation updates, creation of new automation tools, etc.? Want to join a friendly, multi-cultural, fully distributed team with a unique company culture of self-driven remote DevOps? Drop us a note!
DESCRIPTIONAs Sematext’s Sales & Marketing Coordinator, you will be developing sales and marketing content, work on product positioning, and create programs to drive awareness and adoption of Sematext products – SPM and Logsene – in order to grow customer engagement and revenue. Sematext has been growing through a 100% online sales model, and we’re looking for someone to help us ramp up our trajectory. As the Sales & Marketing Coordinator you will be playing a vital role by helping Sematext continue to grow with the focus on expanding into new audiences to generate new and more trial signups, increase conversion, and introduce customers to new features. You will develop content for the website, blog, landing pages, emails and other communications channels. To be effective at your job will need to have at least a basic understanding of the space Sematext’s products are in – performance monitoring and log management. You must have strong writing skills, be able to clearly communicate product-related concepts to novice and experienced users, and report on the effectiveness of the programs you’re running. A background in devops, software engineering, computer science, data science, business analysis is not required, but would be a big plus.
- Help produce blog and website content and promote Sematext in the (social) media
- Own and manage newsletter and email campaigns
- Own and manage our social media presence: Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc.
- Track conversions
- Help create product videos, webinars, etc.
- Logistics and followups for product webinars, public trainings classes, conference sponsorships, etc.
- Oversee AdWords and assist with sales and marketing collateral
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Experience with or strong interest in learning Marketo and Salesforce or comparable systems and understanding of efficient marketing and sales workflows
- Good understanding of SEO and what drives good positioning in Google
- Detail oriented, creative, and resourceful
HERE ARE SOME THINGS TO LIKE ABOUT SEMATEXT:
- You can be pretty much anywhere on the planet and be a member of the Sematext team. Depending on the role, there is a lot of flexibility when it comes to work location as well as work hours.
- There is genuine care for people, their personal & professional happiness, satisfaction, and progress.
- Sematext has open vacation policy – take it when you need it.
- We have zero bureaucracy, no politics, no bullshit.
- Although small, we are widely recognized for our expertise and are highly regarded – our clients come to us not because of our marketing, but because they hear we do good work.
- Sematext is self-sustainable and has a proven and working business model.
- You’ll work with and learn from great engineers and be continually challenged to improve your skills. However, if you are afraid of learning, challenges, or want easy and simple work, then we are not your best choice.
- Sematext is a service and product company. We don’t have all of our eggs in the same basket.
- Intrapreneurship is highly encouraged. All team members have equal opportunity to grow into leadership roles, be they technical or business or a mixture of the two. There are numerous growth opportunities. People with ability and desire to grow teams and themselves are given maximum support.
- Expectations are high but in a collaborative, mentoring, team-first environment that promotes the success of our products as well as individuals.
TRAITS WE LIKE:
- Proactive: takes initiative, doesn’t wait to be asked or told
- Self-improving: acquires new knowledge and skills, reads books, follows relevant projects, keeps up with changes in the industry…
- Organized and agile: knows how to break down work into small tasks, organizes them into Sprints, updates them, closes them, keeps team members in the loop…
- Realistic: good estimator of time and effort
- Active in OSS projects (mailing list, contribution…) or at least keeps up with relevant projects via mailing list or some other means
- Follows good development practices
- Understands scaling and performance
- Desire to learn more
- Responsibility and professionalism
- English proficiency
TECH & TOOLS WE USE
- ReactJS, Redux, Bootstrap
- Java, Kotlin, Go, NodeJS, Python
- Elasticsearch, Kafka, ClickHouse, Zookeeper, Jetty
- Akka, Project Reactor, stream-lib
- Docker, Kubernetes, Logagent, rsyslog
- AWS, Github, Jenkins, Ansible, JIRA, Confluence, Slack, Travis CI, WordPress, Stripe, Google Apps…