We’re Hiring – Join Our Team
We are always looking for smart, passionate, motivated, and independent people regardless of where on the planet they may be. We regularly work with colleagues and clients across many time zones, as our team is spread over seven countries and four continents (North & South America, Europe, and Asia), and we are hoping to expand to all corners of the globe. We encourage our team to write about what we do via the Sematext Blog, to talk about it at conferences, meetups, SIGs, etc., to organize and attend hackathons, to create open-source and not just use it. The team is also encouraged to use their time at Sematext to have fun, grow as individuals, and do things that help our customers and the world in general.
We practice flexible and human work hours, have open vacation policy, and are open to full-time, part-time, freelancing, working from home, other countries, continents and planets, exploratory work, open-source contribution, etc. We also encourage everyone at Sematext to try working on different things and find what fits them best, what provides them with the most pleasure and fun. Maybe that’s working with search or maybe it’s working with large scale databases. Maybe after working on products one wants to try working with external clients. Maybe a developer wants to do a bit more business or vice versa. We’re open to open-minded and curious people.
DESCRIPTIONAs Sematext’s Sales & Marketing Coordinator, you will be developing sales and marketing content, work on product positioning, and create programs to drive awareness and adoption of Sematext products – SPM and Logsene – in order to grow customer engagement and revenue. Sematext has been growing through a 100% online sales model, and we’re looking for someone to help us ramp up our trajectory. As the Sales & Marketing Coordinator you will be playing a vital role by helping Sematext continue to grow with the focus on expanding into new audiences to generate new and more trial signups, increase conversion, and introduce customers to new features. You will develop content for the website, blog, landing pages, emails and other communications channels. To be effective at your job will need to have at least a basic understanding of the space Sematext’s products are in – performance monitoring and log management. You must have strong writing skills, be able to clearly communicate product-related concepts to novice and experienced users, and report on the effectiveness of the programs you’re running. A background in devops, software engineering, computer science, data science, business analysis is not required, but would be a big plus.
- Help produce blog and website content and promote Sematext in the (social) media
- Own and manage newsletter and email campaigns
- Own and manage our social media presence: Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc.
- Track conversions
- Help create product videos, webinars, etc.
- Logistics and followups for product webinars, public trainings classes, conference sponsorships, etc.
- Oversee AdWords and assist with sales and marketing collateral
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Experience with or strong interest in learning Marketo and Salesforce or comparable systems and understanding of efficient marketing and sales workflows
- Good understanding of SEO and what drives good positioning in Google
- Detail oriented, creative, and resourceful
DESCRIPTIONSematext trainers run public, on-site, and occasionally remote Solr and Elasticsearch classes to groups ranging from a few to a few dozen individuals. You need to be comfortable speaking in front of people, be good and clear communicator, have the desire to teach people of various degrees of familiarity with the subject. A good instructor will be organized and engaging, and will not put trainees to sleep. An ideal instructor will be able to deliver any of our Solr or Elastic stack trainings, although initial expertise with both Solr and Elastic stack is not required – our existing Solr and Elasticsearch consultants and trainers will make sure any knowledge gaps you have are quickly filled. Furthermore, we use Solr and Elasticsearch extensively ourselves, thus providing plenty of opportunities for gaining expertise. This position requires travel several times a year, primarily to locations in North America and Europe. Because one cannot remain on top of Solr or Elasticsearch without ongoing hands-on work with these technologies, a person in this position will also take part in Sematext consulting and support. Often being the first point of contact customers have with Sematext, trainers are in the unique position to also introduce relevant Sematext products and other services, such as production support and consulting. The ability to present Sematext solutions that can truly be of use to trainees without being overly pushy is a plus.
- Passion to teach and ability to run engaging classes
- Strong verbal and presentation skills
- Patience, desire to help, and attention to detail
- Updating existing and creating new training material
- Maintaining expertise in relevant subjects by keeping up to date
- Ability to travel globally
LocationThis position is open to candidates in North or South America or Europe.
DESCRIPTIONWe are looking for a talented, self-starting full-stack developer to join our team behind SPM, Logsene, Sematext Docker Agent, and Logagent. On the frontend we use ReactJS, Redux, ChartJS, etc. On the backend we use Elasticsearch, Kafka, HBase, Akka, Project Reactor, custom Java and Node.js apps, etc. For our monitoring agents we use Java and Node.js, and our log shipper (Logagent) is written with Node.js. All our infrastructure is in AWS, we use Ansible for automation, and Jenkins for CI. Most developers use Docker or Vagrant running on Linux or OSX. This position will let you work with all our products, large volumes of streaming data, contribute to our open-source projects, and interact with users and customers using our products. We don’t expect you to know everything coming in – we’ll pair you with peers who will help you improve your skills and close any experience gaps.
- Experience with some of the frontend and backend technologies we use
- Curiosity and passion for learning
- Self-starter and positive can-do attitude
- Ability to work with a geographically distributed team
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Docker or Kubernetes a plus
- Experience with Go a plus
- Experience with ReactJS a plus
- Experience with APM or Log Management a plus
DESCRIPTIONWe are looking for a talented front-end developer with propensity to build visually stunning, highly interactive user interfaces. Must have solid grasp of – or be very eager to learn – modern front-end frameworks like ReactJS and Redux.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Experience designing and shipping interactive web applications
- Appreciation for advanced and novel data visualizations
- Write high-performance, reusable, modular code along with automated unit tests
- Identify and communicate best practices for front-end engineering
- Understanding of what it takes to produce and deliver great UI and UX
- Visualize data using technologies like D3.js and derived libraries
- Build world-class applications in a responsive way (desktop, tablet, mobile)
- Outstanding attention to quality and detail
- Extremely passionate about your work, constantly striving to be your best
DESCRIPTIONSearch is our specialty, our bread and butter Nutella. We’ve been working with Lucene, Solr, and Elasticsearch since their beginnings – 2000, 2006, and 2010, roughly. Our team members have written books covering all three of them, and have given numerous talks about search and related topics. We are always looking to add more search experts to our team of search consultants. We tend to work remotely with customers around the world, but there is also opportunity to travel world-wide for those who want to travel. People who will especially enjoy this position are those who like interacting with customers (email, Skype, Hangouts, phone), understanding customers’ problems and requirements, those who like designing/architecting and developing scalable, highly available, fault tolerant systems for processing large volumes of data and queries. This position is also great for those who are looking for an opportunity to take their experience with search to a higher level and become Search Tech Leads or Development Managers, to build, run, and grow the core team of in-house as well as external search engineers. Put more formally, a person in this role will:
- Provide expert-level Elasticsearch or Solr consulting, development, and support services to a wide range of our customers
- Observe and identify customer pain points, priorities, requirements, and success criteria
- Resolve non-trivial search issues involving Lucene, Solr, Elasticsearch and related technologies
- Identify opportunities to help customers with additional Sematext products and/or services
- Participate in the open source community through blogging, answering questions on mailing lists, providing fixes and improvements when possible, etc.
- Contribute to development of Sematext projects and products
DESCRIPTIONSematext is hiring a technical, hands-on Professional Services Lead to join, lead, and grow the Professional Services side of Sematext. This is a role for a Professional Services Lead, who could grow into the Head role. We’re looking for somebody comfortable speaking with (potential) customers, understanding their needs and mapping them to the concrete consulting or development tasks, organizing and leading the actual engagement, while being hands on him/herself and growing the team, etc.
- Experience working with Solr or Elasticsearch
- Plan and coordinate customer engagements from business and technical perspective
- Identify customer pain points, their needs, and success criteria at the onset of each engagement
- Provide expert-level consulting and support services and strive to be a trustworthy advisor to a wide range of customers
- Resolve complex search issues involving Solr or Elasticsearch
- Identify opportunities to provide customers with additional value through our products or services
- Communicate high-value use cases and customer feedback to our Product teams
- Participate in open source community by contributing bug fixes, improvements, answering questions, etc.
- BS or higher in Engineering or Computer Science preferred
- 2 or more years of IT Consulting and/or Professional Services experience required
- Exposure to other related open source projects (Hadoop, Nutch, Kafka, Storm, Mahout, etc.) a plus
- Experience with other commercial and open source search technologies a plus
- Enterprise Search, eCommerce, and/or Business Intelligence experience a plus
- Experience working in a startup a plus
HERE ARE SOME THINGS TO LIKE ABOUT SEMATEXT:
- You can be pretty much anywhere on the planet and be a member of the Sematext team. Depending on the role, there is a lot of flexibility when it comes to work location as well as work hours.
- There is genuine care for people, their personal & professional happiness, satisfaction, and progress.
- Sematext has open vacation policy – take it when you need it.
- We have zero bureaucracy, no politics, no bullshit.
- Although small, we are widely recognized for our expertise and are highly regarded – our clients come to us not because of our marketing, but because they hear we do good work.
- Sematext is self-sustainable and has a proven and working business model.
- You’ll work with and learn from great engineers and be continually challenged to improve your skills. However, if you are afraid of learning, challenges, or want easy and simple work, then we are not your best choice.
- Sematext is a service and product company. This diversity of work means that engineers can choose to work on either client engagements or on Sematext’s products, or both!
- Intrapreneurship is highly encouraged. All team members have equal opportunity to grow into leadership roles, be they technical or business or a mixture of the two. There are numerous growth opportunities. People with ability and desire to grow teams and themselves are given maximum support.
- Expectations are high but in a collaborative, mentoring, team-first environment that promotes the success of our products as well as individuals.
TRAITS WE LIKE:
- Proactive: takes initiative, doesn’t wait to be asked or told
- Self-improving: acquires new knowledge and skills, reads books, follows relevant projects, keeps up with changes in the industry…
- Self-managing and organized: knows how to parcel work into digestible tasks, organizes them into Sprints, updates them, closes them, keeps team members in the loop…
- Realistic: good estimator of time and effort
- Active in OSS projects (mailing list, contribution…) or at least keeps up with relevant projects via mailing list or some other means
- Follows good development practices
- Understands scaling and performance
- Desire to learn more
- Responsibility and professionalism
- English proficiency
TECH & TOOLS WE USE
- Elasticsearch, Solr, Kafka, HBase, Zookeeper, Jetty
- Docker, Node.js, Akka, ReactJS, Redux, Bootstrap, Project Reactor, stream-lib, rsyslog, Logagent, Ansible
- AWS, JIRA & Confluence, Slack, Inspectlet, Github, Travis CI, Jenkins, svn (yeah, move to git is planned), WordPress, Stripe, Google Apps…