Agent & Backend Engineer Apply Now
In this role you will work on our Agents written in Go and Rust and make heavy use of eBPF. Our agents are deployed on our users’ infrastructure and collect metrics, container, Kubernetes, and system events, application transactions, network request information, security events, etc. We also use an open source log shipper written in Rust. On the backend we use micro services written in Go and use Kafka, ClickHouse, and Elasticsearch.We are looking for a talented, self-starting engineer to join our Sematext Cloud development team and work on our agents, backend services, ingestion pipeline, and storage.All our infrastructure is in AWS. We use Terraform and Ansible for automation and Jenkins for CI. All of our applications run in Docker containers orchestrated using Kubernetes. We try to automate everything we can. We use Github workflow and Kanban boards in JIRA. Most developers use Docker running on Linux or OSX. See further below about how we work.
This position will let you work with large volumes of streaming data, contribute to open-source projects, and interact with users and customers using our products. We don’t expect you to know everything coming in – we’ll pair you with peers who will help you improve your skills and close any experience gaps.
- Curiosity and passion for learning
- Self-starter and positive can-do attitude
- Ability to work with a geographically distributed team
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Experience coding in Go or Rust
- Experience with eBPF a plus
- Experience with Elasticsearch or ClickHouse a plus
- Experience with Docker or Kubernetes a plus
- Experience with APM, Transaction Tracing, or OpenTelemetry a plus
This position is open to candidates in North or South America or Europe, although truly exceptional individuals from other corners of the planet will be considered, too.
A bit about how we work
- We work in small 3-4 people teams
- We have 2-week sprints, which we plan every other Monday
- We do demos on Fridays
- We automate everything that can be automated – we have an automated test env, CI/CD pipeline, Kubernetes, etc.
- We use Slack and have an async version of daily standup
- We use JIRA, make use of story points, and we pay attention to our development velocity
- We use Figma for UX designs
- We are a fully distributed company
- We meet at conferences and annual whole-company gatherings. Our last such gathering was in Zagreb, Croatia, and before that we met in Barcelona, Spain, before that in Split, Croatia, etc.